Monday, February 1, 2010

Kaituna - Mt Herbert Loop

Distance: 31.1km
Vertical: 2485m
Time: 5:29

On top of Mt Herbert

Google Earth track here


This was my first serious run since last summer and I was suffering. It didn't help that I continue to insist on having coffee in the mourning despite knowing I cant run on it. So with my stomach checking out for the mourning it was always going to be a bit of battle.

We started from Gebbies Pass and headed up to Pack Horse Hut in about 45min with a bit of walking thrown in and working hard on the pacing.

Heading up to Pack Horse Hut from Gebbies Pass

The run up Kaituna Valley

From here it was down into the Kaituna Valley and, what was meant to be the easy section of the run, up valley to the other side of Mt Herbert. As it turned out the combination of the heat and the gentle uphill of the road was pretty punishing and I found myself longing for the steeper climb back up to the crater rim to provide an excuse to start walking again.

Back up the other side of Herbert

There were a few issues getting up the hill, had to skirt around a bull at one point then ran into a bit of bush. Had a quick stop for a bite to eat on the way up and on starting again both my calves decided to start cramping up. This resulted in a mix of hobbling, walking and a very slow run over Herbert and back down to Pack Horse.

This might not have been the best way to go

Looking back down into the Kaituna Valley

Just before the hut I managed to catch a toe on a rock which had me rolling around on the ground trying to get my calves to release. At this point I was picturing another embarrassing helicopter ride, but managed to get up and nurse it the remaining 6km back down to the car.

So cant say it went that well but was good to be out running again!

No comments:

Post a Comment